Totoro Tattoo Tuesday

Anime Art Movies & Television Tattoo Tuesday

I LOVEHayao Miyazaki and if you have heart and a soul you do too!  For those of you who don’t know Miyazaki (you clearly aren’t from this planet) he is often compared to being the Walt Disney of Japan and his career has spanned over 50 years.  He’s made incredible movies through Studio Ghibli, which he also co-founded.  One of his films, Princess Mononoke, was the highest grossing film in Japan until Titanic trumped it in 1997.  Other prominent films (even though they all are prominent) are Spirited Away, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro,Ponyo and so much more.

Most of his movies have similar themes although very different and imaginative story lines.

“Miyazaki’s films often incorporate recurrent themes, such as humanity’s relationship to nature and technology, and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. Reflecting Miyazaki’s feminism, the protagonists of his films are often strong, independent girls or young women. His films are also notable for dispensing with traditional villains in favour of morally ambiguous antagonists presented with redeeming qualities.(wiki)”

If you haven’t seen his movies I hereby declare it your life’s’ mission to buy them, rent them, find them now and indulge yourself in the glorious world of Miyazaki!  But first check out these My Neighbor Totoro tattoos! Oh and Totoro made a cameo in Toy Story 3!

If you are interested in having me feature your geeky tattoo on a future Tattoo Tuesday feel free to email me at girlgonegeekblog[at]gmail.com.
***click on images for source links***

Tattoo Artist Marc Durrant, MD Tattoo Studio, Northridge, CA [Source: Flickr]

20 thoughts on “Totoro Tattoo Tuesday”

1. Mami - August 24, 2010 11:06 am

Simply my all time favorite characters! Cannot forget the many times we watch the films and we were always so in Ahh!!!

2. Felix - August 24, 2010 9:26 pm

The first one looks so… 3D?
    Like it’s popping out of the skin! sweet

1. Fred - December 1, 2011 4:54 am

Hey Felix, that’s because it is! It looks like a fresh tattoo. And because the process involved repeated insertion of a needle into the skin, it tends to cause a local inflammatory response. Which also explains the redness.

3. jovan layne - August 25, 2010 8:15 am

ohhhemmgee i love love lovveeeeeeee the FOURTH one and where it is! would it be bad if i stole that idea ;?

4. Melissa Arandia -justdoodle - September 6, 2010 5:42 pm

i love the tattoos!! especially the sixth one :)

5. Pingback: Sunday Funnies- (10/3) « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

6. Pingback: Tattoo Tuesday- Hayao Miyazaki Films « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

7. Pingback: Picture of the Week- My Neighbor Totoro Christmas « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

8. Pingback: Picture of the Week- My Neighbor Totoro Christmas « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

9. Pingback: Picture of the Week- My Neighbor Totoro Christmas « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

10. Pingback: Picture of the Week- My Neighbor Totoro Christmas « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

11. Pingback: Picture of the Week- My Neighbor Totoro Christmas « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

12. Strobelight - March 2, 2011 5:24 am

ummm…i love these tatts
    just thought id mention that second tatt isnt totoro, its spirited away- which obviously you knew. lol.
    so when i get my radish spirit tatt i’ll send you a pic =D

1. GirlGoneGeekBlog - March 2, 2011 10:48 pm

omg thank you!!! lol i got my Miyazaki”s in a mix! :-P

13. Pingback: The Best Collection of Ponyo Cosplay « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

14. Pingback: 300th Blog Post Giveaway Contest « Girl Gone Geek's Blog

15. marc durrant - July 24, 2012 6:54 pm

aw, you forgot the one i did!

1. girlgonegeek - July 24, 2012 10:04 pm

OMG! That tattoo is amazing! I’ll definitely add it to this! Thanks!

1. marcdurrant - July 25, 2012 10:27 am

awesome! thanks! you put my captain america shield up long ago and ive followed your awesome blog ever since. i love doing geek tattoos!

1. girlgonegeek - July 26, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks so much! Your work is amazing! Do you have any geek related tattoos yourself?