Breaking Up With “The Walking Dead”

Comics My Pull List Zombies

Michonne-Full-620x1450

I feel like I’m breaking up with a longtime boyfriend. I’ve been dating “The Walking Dead” for a few years now. Our first date was at the Compendium One and it was love at first sight. I was head-over-heels. Smitten even! I think it was partly due to having previously been in intense relationships with older men like “The Invisibles”, “Sandman” and “Transmetropolitan”. Albeit beautiful and brilliant, those relationships were filled with mind-fucks, counter-culture, social commentary and layers upon layers of metaphors. So “The Walking Dead” was a welcomed brain break from my “Top Three”. That’s not to say that I was dumbing it down or settling by being with “The Walking Dead”. But that relationship was heavier on the heart, rather than the mind.

I adored his grayscale gore and the excitement I felt whenever we were together. But then, things started to change…  The dates became repetitive and predictable. His friends weren’t interesting anymore or they were dead. It started to seem like all of the reasons why I loved him were slowly fading away.

Instead of thinking fondly of the future we’d have together, I find myself focusing on the good times we had in the past. I used to get excited whenever I saw him. Nowadays, I barely make time for him. A relationship that started with love now exists solely out of habit and comfort. I keep telling myself maybe he’ll change. Maybe the next time I see him, things will be different. He’ll be different. But things went from bad to worse when he brought a tiger to one of our dates.

It’s hard to break up with “The Walking Dead” because I’ve invested to many years into this relationship. But I think it’s time to let go. After the next few series of dates, it will be time to part ways. It’ll be tough. We had great times together, but I have to be the bigger person and know when it’s just not working out anymore. Maybe we’ll grab coffee every few months and I’ll see how he’s doing. I don’t know. We’ll see…

6 thoughts on “Breaking Up With “The Walking Dead””

1. Dee - November 16, 2013 6:52 pm

This is exactly what I was feeling about him! He’s lost his mojo, for sure. Love your blog!

1. girlgonegeek - November 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks so much! And yeah, it’s so tough! I’ve loved it for so long but I feel like he just hit cruise control and isn’t trying that hard. It’s a bummer. It’s not terrible, but it’s not as exciting or interesting as before. Maybe I’ll read the trades or something every now and then.

2. Regan - November 17, 2013 9:50 pm

I know what you mean. I’ve been feeling the same way too. I feel like its gone down hill ever since Jesus made his first appearance, then Negan came along who is just such a blah character. His dialogue is so unimaginative.

Even after saying all that, I’m finding it hard to let go of The Walking Dead. I think I will keep reading because I’m still invested in Rick, Andrea and Carl. Anyway, hopefully it will pick up, or I’ll just have to come to the realisation, like you have, it’s time to let go. It has served us well for a long time, so we can’t complain.

3. Jemar "Meezy" Souza - November 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Thug tears.

4. Sarah - December 2, 2013 10:15 pm

I am beginning to feel the exact same way.

1. girlgonegeek - December 4, 2013 8:24 pm

:( It bums me out so much!