Doki Doki: Anime & Manga Helped Me Get Over A Heartbreak

Advice Anime Manga

Nana_manga_anime4

Last year, I was going through some up and downs. Some of the downs had to do with love. I stayed home a lot because I was in a crappy mood and didn’t want to be crappy around my friends. Also, I just wanted to be alone a lot. Being a bum in my house was literally on my schedule. So what did I do? I turned to anime. Lots and lots of anime.

Nana_manga_anime7Anime was doing a great job distracting me from being sad. Despite being a fan of many geeky mediums, anime is what I turn to when I’m sad and need some cheering up. Then Nana came along and messed everything up. I thought it was going to be a cute, harmless little shōjo/josei anime, but by the time I got to episode 5 I felt like I was looking in a mirror. So much for a distraction, right? I became completely consumed with Nana after I started reading the manga. I began playing that, “Just one more chapter!” game, and before I realized, it was 3am.

Interestingly enough, I continued to obsess about Nana even though reading it made me sad. I turned to anime for temporary happiness, but I clung to the one that did just the opposite. I saw Nana and Hachi go through the same experiences I’ve been through, and because of that, I couldn’t look away. I hoped that in the end, they would live happily ever after, which would mean I would live happily ever after. But the manga is incomplete. The author, Ai Yazawa, became sick and wasn’t able to finish the story… my story. But I think in the end that was the point. Nana_manga_anime6

What I got out of my Nana experience was that regardless of how different everyone’s experience is with relationships, love and heartbreak, there are universal themes and truths we all go through. The manga forced me face my feelings of sadness in a space I normally associated with happiness. Nana was unfinished, but I imagined a happy ending for the characters… Because that’s what I deserve.

11 thoughts on “Doki Doki: Anime & Manga Helped Me Get Over A Heartbreak”

1. Danyele - January 28, 2014 2:26 pm

This is sad, but hopeful. It’s I sometimes like stories with out endings, for this soul purpose. You get to make your own. Cute hun! :)

1. girlgonegeek - January 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Thank you, Danyele!

P.S.- Love your blog!

2. Tudz - January 30, 2014 9:46 am

Nearly teared up, but I managed to keep it together LOL
    Lovely post ♥♥♥

1. girlgonegeek - January 30, 2014 10:51 am

Haha thanks for the love :)

3. Pingback: The Treasure Box: January 25-31 | International Geek Girl Pen Pals Club

4. Cherokee - February 3, 2014 3:15 pm

Nana has been a massive influence on me, creatively and also personally. I love the fact I’ve found someone who can connect on the same personal level as me with the story, and it is a beautiful one at that.

Really liking your blog, btw, so definitely getting a follow from me!

1. girlgonegeek - February 3, 2014 3:41 pm

Aww thanks soooo much! Means a lot. :)

5. Joie Fatale - February 13, 2014 1:38 am

Nana was such an important manga to me for the exact same happy ending reason. I started reading it in 2005, and I was out of school and looking for direction.

I love Ai Yazawa’s characters (check out Paradise Kiss if you haven’t read it yet, it’s wonderful).
    I try to get everyone to read this story.

It’s nice to see someone else loved it too.

6. Pingback: “Say “I Love You””: A Realistic Shoujo Anime… Sort Of | Girl Gone Geek Blog

7. Chymere - June 27, 2014 7:35 am

I’m really just starting to get into manga again after a longggg hiatus, but I’m so afraid to get back into it, because I can get lost in the world…and I’m trying to focus, you know…get my ish together. *sigh* Slowly but surely, I’m finding new collections that I haven’t heard of and before you know it, I’ll be swept off my feet once again.

1. girlgonegeek - June 27, 2014 9:22 am

GURLLLL I know the feeling. Try reading shorter completed series so they won’t suck up so much time.